Everything started at the beginning of the 20th century when the use of concrete for fence posts became prominent.
It has been one of the most used and essential materials due to its significant durability and strength.
As soon as you enter here to learn more about fence installation.
Still, it would be best if you understood the efficiency and importance of concrete nowadays.
By understanding both advantages and disadvantages, you will determine whether you should get them or not.
- Durability – You should remember that concrete is one of the most durable options that cannot rot. It is also prone to insect infestation, which means you will get material with a long lifespan, excellent strength, and efficiency. Compared with wooden posts, concrete is not degradable, which means insects and rotting cannot affect it the same way.
- Maintenance – A concrete has the lowest maintenance requirements compared with other materials such as wood or timber. Therefore, liquid cannot affect it the same way as rot and mold. That is the main reason for low maintenance.
- Strength – You should know that concrete posts can withstand weather exposure and high wind speeds without causing too much damage. This is especially important in coastal areas next to sewer water spray. If you have timber, you need to pressure-treat it to prevent future deterioration.
- Expenses – Concrete posts are more expensive than wooden options, which is an important consideration to remember. Therefore, you will have to pay more, but when you combine the lack of maintenance and treatment that timber requires, you will save money in the long run.
- Challenging to Install – When it comes to concrete posts, you should know they weigh approximately forty kilograms, which will require a few people for installation. As a result, you will need more time to deal with concrete than wood, which is an important consideration to remember.
- Material Integrity – Compared with concrete, timber options will not crack or chip. As soon as you notice a chip or crack within the concrete, it means water may enter the insides of posts. Therefore, if it starts to freeze inside, that may lead to severe issues over time, which will expose metal wires and rust in the long run. Therefore, you should know that rust can affect the stability of fencing, which may lead to failure. You can prevent it from happening by dealing with a problem as soon as you notice chipping or cracking.
Watch this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fIIuhlcqSE0 to learn how to start with the process.
- Security – Since you will not affix the fence panels into the post, it means you can easily lift them and expose them, depending on numerous factors. At the same time, high winds can rattle them down, affecting the panel’s integrity.
- The Environmental Impact – Finally, concrete is a harmful material, which means people mostly use it for numerous reasons. According to a few studies, it comes with a high impact on the planet, so people are choosing more sustainable and alternative options.
- Durability – Having a wooden fence means you should start with proper treatment during installation, which will increase its durability, among other things. Therefore, you should install and treat it with adequate drainage. Compared with alternative dip-treated wooden posts, you can choose those prone to humidity, which will offer you extra protection against insect attack and rotting.
- Appealing Design – Most property owners choose wooden posts because they wish to boost overall curb appeal and take it to the next level. It is a way more attractive option than concrete posts, which means you will create an opportunity that will stand the test of time.
- Sustainable – You should choose posts that come with PEFC or FSC programs, which means the timber has undergone the processing stage. That way, you will get a verification you can achieve. These programs are perfect for ensuring sustainable forest management, which means you will protect endangered species, climate change, and future generations.
- Weight – Compared with concrete posts, they are not as simple to install. However, wooden posts are lighter, which will help you save money on transportation and installation expenses. When it comes to the concrete fence, we have mentioned above that it comes with significant weight.
The main goal is to find fence companies to help you with the installation, which will provide you with peace of mind.
Security – Since you can screw the panels into posts, that may create significant security that will provide you peace of mind. It is a reasonable and straightforward way to prevent potential issues from happening.